I know, I know… you want to see what I bought on Saturday, and you want to see Gretchie’s dress. Well, you’re just going to have to wait, because yesterday didn’t go according to plans. Th Knight’s plans changed, so we had the day together, which means I didn’t have a chance to blog.
Today’s a special day in the history of Haddon Wood. This is the anniversary of Mugsy’s birth. He would have been 14 today.
Today is also the second anniversary of a very dark day… Our sweet hooey hound Fred died on Mugsy’s 12th birthday after a very brief battle with cancer. The poor boy fought it alone though, because… well, never mind. I’ll just say that I’ve learned that I do have intuition, and I’ll use it next time. If your pet or child or whomever just doesn’t seem right to you, you might be onto something.
I cried as I told the boys good-bye this morning, as I do every time I leave the Woods. That is… each time I leave, I tell them ‘bye and ask them to take care of the girls. Instead of blubbering all day (well, I might anyway, but…), I figured I’d honor the boys and all of our abundant blessings with a month of special stuff.
You see, October is just one celebration after another for the residents of Haddon Wood. We’ve already skimmed over my paternal grandfather’s death, my aunt & uncle’s anniversary and National Pizza Month. Today is also a cousin’s anniversary. My brother inlaw has a birthday later this week, Kathy has a birthday this month, and then near the end of the month… pay attention, because these dates matter:
October 23rd – The first anniversary of Lady Gretchen Greer’s arrival at the Woods.
October 24th – The Princess Sissy’s second birthday.
October 25th – Our 12th anniversary of wedded bliss.
The contest is going to span the month. All prizes will be awarded on the 26th, because I don’t know all the details for our anniversary weekend, but I won’t be online much, I’m pretty sure of that.
I’ll be teasing you with prizes as we go along too, but I’m still finalizing details with a few folks, so you’ll just have to trust me… they’re GREAT, special prizes. Here’s what I know so far:
The grand prize will include a hank of fingering weight yarn, a project bag, stitch markers and a tape measure. I believe there will be TWO grand prizes, but don’t hold me to that. (Contents will vary in those two lots.)
Other prizes will include Pampered Chef items to honor Pizza Month, Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and some of our favorite products from Haddon Wood. There will also be a couple of surprises.
- Count your blessings! Leave me a comment telling me about what makes you feel lucky/blessed. One entry per person.
- Blog about your blessings! Link to this post and share the joy. One entry per person. (Please let me know if you do blog about it, just in case I miss something.)
- Give from your bounty. Donate time, talents, something that has become clutter at your house, or of course, money, to the charity of your choice. A photo documenting the donation would be nice. One entry per person.
- Celebrate! Have a pizza party or some other fete in our honor (or for your own good reason). One entry per person, one bonus entry if the party features PANK or royal purple.
- Help ME out. There’s a special family in my life that is facing another crisis. Send me a handmade hat to fit a roughly 21″ head, made in pretty little girl colors. (Those of you already working on special items for the family will get extra entries for the blankets.) FIVE entries per hat, with a limit 10 hat credits per person. (Feel free to donate more, but I don’t want a speed knitter or crocheter to run away with the contest.)
- Have your own birthday or anniversary this month? Tell me about it, and you get one entry.
- Only one win per person. I’ll draw for the grand prize(s) first, so once you win something, you’ll be ineligible for the rest of the drawings. I want to share the blessings with as many of you as possible.
- There will be other bonus entries announced here and there…
Last but not least, I want to thank my dear friends who have (or are going to) donated these prizes. The Knight and I are supplying the Pampered Chef and will pay for a few of the other prizes, but the VAST bulk of the prizes were given from the goodness of dear hearts. Each vendor will be getting her own moment in the sun as the month goes on, because it’s the least I can do.