This is just a hodge-podge of a post, so apologies now for what a local friend calls my stream of consciousness ramblings. Thursday night marked the last of my holiday happenings, so now I can obsess about what to wear to Vintage Vegas this year. I have an outfit ready and rarin’ to go, but unless you’re really new around here, you know that doesn’t mean much.
- I love Christmas cards, especially photo cards and those family letters. No, really. I love seeing Dad’s cousin’s vacation photo on her card. She had such a positive impact on me in my teens, and I re-live all of those lessons on life when I see her swimming with the dolphins. I hope in a … couple of years 😉 I’m still active and sharing what makes me happy with my friends and family. Another friend shared the other night that she had a few glasses of wine before trying to be light and funny while composing her family letter. It worked. She and her husband are definitely a “power couple” with two beautiful young girls, pets, travel, etc., and it would have been easy to write an annual update that made my teeth hurt, even though I know it’s all true, but she and her wine muse pulled it off – of course.
- I had forgotten how much I loved Republic of Tea’s Coconut Cocoa. Add a splash of International Delight’s Almond Joy and you have an almost diet-friendly cup of comfort and joy. I drink it every single night. The Knight thought I was crazy when I said I’m ordering the 250 bag refill… but some of you will need a few bags to try, right?
- While you’re checking that out, get some of the TinTin chocolate chai. Gretchen thinks it’s REALLY bad form that the good folks at RoT made it a CHOCOLATE chai (dogs can’t have chocolate you know), but frankly I’m delighted that I can’t share either of these yummies with anyone else. I mean… of course I’d offer you some if you were here, but… I just add a splash of cream (or 2% milk, whatever’s on hand) to the chai.
- I don’t like red velvet the flavor. Seems I’d never really had red velvet cake. So, I tried some when the Knight’s dear cousin got tired of trying to describe it to me. Totally unimpressed. For those of you who do love it … can you clue me in on WHY? I feel I’m missing something. And for the record, cousin assured me it was “good” red velvet cake, so it’s not like I had a bad experience… evidently.
- I reconnected with my Nook and learned how to “side load” PDF files, so now it is also a knitting pattern holder. But seriously?! None of the major brand knitting magazines are available for the Nook? Not impressed…
- I didn’t put up a tree and it was still Christmas. No, I don’t plan to repeat this sad state of affairs again, but it didn’t ruin the holidays for me either. Go figure. That being said, Sissy and I are already discussing that I plan to put up the full-sized tree this year, and she WILL NOT harm any ornaments. Hem.
- My dogs are SPOILED. No, seriously. I’ve always joked about Daddy’s line (defending his own actions concerning yours truly), “She’s not spoiled, she’s pampered. The difference is… she appreciates it.” I thought it applied to my dogs too, but I’m pretty sure this holiday season, we crossed right over into the SPOILED ROTTEN category. While all the gifts were appreciated, three deserve special mention.
My sister found these crazy plush hearts that say “I love you” in a voice that sounds more like my own “being silly” voice than I care to admit. You have to understand that while Gretchen is a toy collector, addict, whatever, Sis normally only wants a tennis ball for catch and fetch, and otherwise, if it isn’t meant to be ingested, it’s only good for stealing from the baby to prove she IS the QUEEN OF ALL.
HOWEVER. The big purple heart – think throw pillow size – is sacred. Yes, the wee one can scamper around with it, but doing so only incites the DIVA, who then rushes to her best toy’s rescue and throws herself upon it and glares. No, Sis has NEVER snapped at Gg and probably never will, so some small (mean?) part of me delights in this not so Sis-Ma behavior. I love my terriers and their “what’s mine is mine, what’s yours is mine” attitudes, but it does my heart good to see Sis be a serious alpha, if only over one purple, talking heart.
Precious #2 (Tolkien fans, anyone?) are the peppermint meringues made by Miss KAM. Her sweet card was clear; THEY were human grade, but made for SISSY. Hem. Got it. I had to hide them up high, because Sis loves them as much as that purple heart… maybe even more, since bassets do take the world in through their mouths.
Last, but hardly least, beloved Auntie ‘Nita dehydrated 27 pounds of the favored fruits and veggies for the rotten hairy brats. I don’t think I’m exaggerating much. Sadly, I’ve confessed that we own not one but TWO dehydrators, so I’ve been given instructions and I suppose I shall be supporting my so spoiled the stink dogs in the manner to which they have become accustomed…
What about you? Were there any holiday revelations in your world?