1. Do you knit, crochet, or do both?
Both, but knitting is my favorite, by far.
2. What is your favorite one-skein project? What item do you find you knit the most of?
Well, in 2007, it was socks. In 2008, it was lace. I also enjoy hats, and have visions of mitts soon.
3. Do you like using a particular type of needle or hook? (wood, metal, straight, circular) Is there something you’ve been wanting to try, or a particular size you always seem to be short on?
I let the project tell me what needles to use. I use Magic Loop two at a time for socks (Hiya Hiya metal tips, 40″ length, any size but #1, which I have). I like Bryspun Rosewood straights for small lace projects, and only have size US#3s in perfect condition. (Thanks, Gretchen!) I tend to use my Knitpick Harmony Options for shawls, but I don’t need any of those. I also like Palmwood straights, and could use straights in either wood in anything smaller than a #9.
4. What’s on your needles\hook right now? What’s your oldest UFO (unfinished object)?
Well… there’s a ribbon lace scarf I intend to finish up this month that was started last summer, and there’s a pair of socks riding around in my car that I want to finish, but I also plan to cast on for a vest tonight. You’re catching me at a good time; I usually have about six things going!
5. What are your favorite types of yarns? Are you allergic to any yarns, or just hate working with something? Anything type/brand of yarn you’ve been dying to try?
No cotton, please? I don’t enjoy knitting with it so much, and I have a ton of it, at least until I inventory my stash and part with the yarns that don’t sing to me.
Favorites? Wee, skinny yarns that feel soft as they slide through my fingers. I’m crazy for Creatively Dyed’s Luxury, and have no more in my stash (but I’ll see Dianne in a couple of weeks!), but I also love alpaca and sproingy merinos.
Oh gosh, so many yarns, so little time, money and stash storage. Brands I’ve heard of and/or fondled, but don’t own include Malabrigo Silky, Miss Babs, Sunshine Yarns, Misti Alpaca, and whatever yummy stuff you love that I haven’t tried.
7. What are your favorite colors? Brights? Pastels? More muted colors? Variegated? Are there that make you want to stab yourself in the eye with your needles?
This is tricky. I used to have pat answers for this question, but I’ve since learned that I really don’t hate any color if it’s blended with others that I love. School bus yellow, in fact most yellows, aren’t my favorites because I can’t wear yellow well.
I have a ton of variegated yarns, because they catch my eye, but gee it’s hard to find patterns for them. I love the little SHORT bursts of color Dianne does (see Creatively Dyed above), but otherwise, I think I’d like more semi-solids.
8. What is your favorite knit accessory, your fancy needles? stitch markers? your yarn cutter? What do you have TOO many of? What do you wish you had?
Yes, I suppose my needles are my favorites, although my talented friends have blessed me with a host of the cutest stitch markers in the world. I also have maybe a dozen tape measures (the dogs especially love Anita’s, but only slime them). I have one yarn cutter I adore, and several different row counters. I’m afraid there’s not an accessory out there that I need.
1. Do you prefer boxed/packets, or something homemade?
For the chocolate, I’m answering for two, as the Knight loves hot cocoa too. Honestly, we are more apt to use the good ol’ packets. I’m especially fond of dark and mint, and he’s a milk chocolate guy. Once a year or so, I’ll warm milk and make us some premium cocoa, but that generally requires a snow day or something!
2. Marshmallows or whipped cream?
Neither for me, but the Knight loves marshmallows.
3. Do you use any ‘add ins’
The Knight? No way. Me? Anything that makes it minty, except Sissy’s precious peppermint candies. Can’t use those and expect the dog to leave my drink alone! I’ve also been known to dump Bailey’s in my cocoa, or Kahlua…
4. Are you a year round cocoa drinker or just in the winter months?
Just the winter months. I don’t do much with hot beverages from about April – September. The Knight only drinks warm stuff if he’s cold.
5. Do you like flavored cocoas or are you just a ’straight chocolate’ kind of person?
See above. I’m all about mint. The Knight’s all about plain, but has stolen enjoyed the packets with the silly bear and a candy cane on ’em. Warning – I can’t STAND vanilla or hazelnut flavors!
6. Do you enjoy cocoa from restaurants or shops like Starbucks? What are some of your favorites?
Weeee! At least a couple of times monthly in the winter months, we head to Starbucks. I almost always order a skinny Peppermint Twist or skinny Peppermint Mocha. The Knight orders a grande single shot White Chocolate Mocha or Peppermint Mocha.
7. You’ve just made the perfect cup of cocoa – is it in a thick mug, or a thinner cup? Where would you sit to drink it?
The thickest, biggest mug in the house, thanks much. And I’ll take it to the sofa, where I can knit, snuggle dogs, and look out the windows (if there’s snow to see).
8. You’re enjoying that perfect cup, what treats will you enjoy with it? Are they sweet or salty? Crunchy? Soft and flaky?
Treats? Cocoa stands alone for me. The Knight will take something sweet, like a cherry turnover, or pound cake.
It’s all YOU!
1. Do you have other hobbies like spinning or scrapbooking?
Oh yeah. Spinning, scrapping, stamping…
2. Do you collect anything?
Other than to support the hobbies above? I love rooster towels for the kitchen, and anything with a basset hound or jack russell terrier, or fire department related is sure to be a hit. I also collect Junior League Cookbooks, and while we’re running out of room, I’m hoping for a remodel that will solve that problem.
3. What is your favorite part of Winter?
Snow. Not that I get any. I seem to be living in the only place in North America NOT getting snow. We have cold temps, but they’re not lining up with the fronts and clippers, dang it all!
4. What sort of scents do you enjoy? Any difference in what you like for your house versus what you like for your body?
Body – soft florals. House – food-related. The Knight is a sucker for a yummy candle. I especially enjoy citrus for the kitchen.
5. Are you allergic to anything?
Not that matters here.
6. Are you on Ravelry? What’s your ID?
Of course! ChanKnits
7. How would you spend an ideal winter afternoon/day?
Well, if there’s snow, the dogs and I would go romp and play until we’re cold, cold, and then we’d come inside, and I’d warm some milk. The dogs would get a sip of that before it got hot and chocolate, and then I’d share the hot cocoa with the Knight, probably while we watch a funny movie.
8. What’s your favorite animal?
Dogs. We do also have a poor fish who has yet to even get a photo on the blog. Horses are another favorite, from my youth, and I’ve already mentioned the rooster in the kitchen.